Specialist Joinery Group were honoured to offer our expertise in delivering bespoke joinery packages for the refurbishment of the prestigious Stephen Lawrence Centre in Lewisham, London on a Pro Bono basis.
Specialist, in collaboration with our friends at BW and Gensler will be dedicating our time and resources to the project free of charge as a symbol of our passion to improve the communities we work in both at home and beyond. SJG are delighted to have been a part of this extremely rewarding project.
Stephen Lawrence was a black teenager who was murdered in 1993 as a result of a racial attack. Stephen was just 18 at the time of his death, he had a bright future ahead of him being an exceptionally talented runner and was particularly passionate about studying Architecture.
In Stephens’s honour a Community Centre in his home town of Lewisham was opened in 2007, ‘The Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust’.
The trust has a purpose built Centre in South London and delivers innovative and impactful programmes that “transform the lives of young people and achieve real social change” SLCT achieves this vision by working towards 6 objectives:
- To deliver the Stephen Lawrence Building Futures programme supporting aspiring architects and young people wishing to pursue careers in the built environment.
- To deliver all-age community programmes with an emphasis on offering support for hard to reach citizens.
- To deliver innovative employment and enterprise programmes to young people aged 13-30.
- To grow our social enterprise activity in order to be a highly effective social business.
- To maximise the use of the Stephen Lawrence Centre
- To continue to grow our voice of transformation works in pursuit of achieving social justice for all.
- Location: Lewisham
- Architect: Gensler
- Value: Pro Bono